Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Close to my heart

This post is a little different than the rest. It is not about Bogota, but instead about something that is very important to me. 

As I have mentioned before, my best friend lost her mother in April due to leukemia. I don't know what it is like to lose a mom but I know what it is like to lose a close family member because of cancer. 

There isn't much we can do when someone we love passes. Everyday is a struggle and everyday is different. You find strength you didn't know had, and find comfort from the strangest places. 

What comforts me is to give back. 


Obviously, based on my blog, I love helping people in any way I can. I have heard from numerous people that they wish they could do what I am doing. They are jealous that I am giving back and wish they could do that as well. 
It doesn't take much to help someone. It really doesn't.

Well, instead of telling everyone to go on a trip and volunteer, I'm going to offer another solution to help someone. 

Walk for a cause :) 
http://www.lightthenight.org/

LIGHT THE NIGHT - The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk funds lifesaving research and support for people battling cancer.


I have joined my best friends team, and we will walk in honor of her mom. I hope to help raise money under my name so that I can get a balloon and release it for Kim Dowlen. 


Here is a list of things you can do to help out! (stolen from my friends blog post - http://allgoodthingsblog.blogspot.com/ )


1. Register to walk as part of our team! It is free to walk, but only those who raise $100 or more receive the t-shirt, balloon, and wrist band.

2. If you want to raise money, send out our team page and raise some! All you need is ten people to give just ten dollars to get $100 dollars! Once you raise $100 under your name, ask people to donate to another  name so we can all carry that bright gold balloon for my mom.

3. If you can't walk, donate! Even just $5 dollars toward a bigger goal can help make a difference for someone somewhere.

4. If you can't walk, or donate, just send us good thoughts as we walk, and think about those dealing with something so huge and scary.




I am very excited to walk with my friend and honor her mom. Also, to think about others  who might be going through this and how we are helping them! 



ADIOS AMIGOS! 

1 comment:

  1. You are so wonderful and so sweet. Thank you so much friend :]

    ReplyDelete