Monday, August 20, 2012

Abuelitas and more...



August 20th 

Today 5 other volunteers and I went to a project called Abuelitas. It's basically like a nursing home for older women in Bogota. These women were either found on the street or left in a hospital by their families. 
Out of all the projects I have done so far, this was by far the saddest.
I seriously almost cried like 10 times, to just see all these women who have been abandoned by their families was heart breaking. 

We brought coloring books, crayons, and puzzles. There were about 15 women in the dinning room area and we sat with them for about 1 1/2 hours and colored. 
 The women: 
- Some of them can walk, talk, and function. They are just lonely and were left by their family 
- Some were left and have extreme medical problems

Even the volunteers who speak Spanish have a hard time understanding these women. Again, it's just like a nursing home. Old people, who need extra help, who might be a bit out of the loop. 

They are lovely ladies though. Even though I was upset most of the time, I found joy in being with them. I sat with one lady for about an hour and helped her color. We couldn't communicate but we smiled a lot and she held my hand most of the time. 

I was most defiantly outside my comfort zone, for those who don't know me... old people scare me a little. BUT, I'm glad I did it and I'm glad I was there. This is not a project I would like to do every week but maybe once or twice more because the women do enjoy visitors. 

After, 

I have been thinking about this next story for about 3 hours now. Do I blog my next event or do I not? Do I scare everyone? Do I stay true to my blog and "keep it real." 
After a lot of input from friends, family, and volunteers, I have decided to share this next story. 

After visiting with the abuelitas, we walked outside the door to get a taxi. There were no taxis coming down that street so we decided to walk one street down to get a taxi. 
NOW, this is done ALL THE TIME by volunteers. They walk to get taxis from abuelitas, they walk from abuelitas to the homeless project, they walk around just because they can. We were doing nothing out of the ordinary. 
The walk down to the street to get a taxi is about a 3 minute walk. 
Again, 6 volunteers walking together to get a taxi.... daylight and everything. 
I was in the back of the line with my new Russian friend and we were just talking about our day. After about 2 minutes of walking I heard her scream. The next thing I know, my bag is getting pulled and I have a gun pointed at me. 
Scary, I know. 
All of us took off our bags, and ran for it. We didn't even try to fight them off. 

Why tell this story and scare the crap out of everyone at home? 

Well, I want to be honest. I want everyone to know the good, bad, and ugly about my trip. Plus, I know people will find out anyways, why not tell my own story in my OWN words :) 

I am safe. I was not touched. The whole event was about 30 seconds long. All they wanted was our stuff. 
Stolen:
- backpack
- camera 
 - flashlight 
- water bottle 
- germ x
- debit card (WHICH i only had on me because we were going to the ATM after, its the ONLY day i have had it one me)
- 15,000 pesos ( about $7.50 in american money) 
- MY MACE (that did a lot of good in this situation huh! LOL) 
- popsicle Alyssa (ALYSSA WAS STOLEN... sooo bad! sorry friend!) 

Just STUFF.  Stuff that I can easily buy again, or live without. 




The things people do for money. 


Now, the really sad part about this whole story is that there were other people around. Local people were just sitting by watching us get mugged. I'm sure they didn't want to get involved because of guns. I'm sure they see this a lot and know to stay out of it. But that's what is so sad to me. 
My stuff was taken at gun point, yes. But it's just stuff and I know to never go back there again. Those people live there. They live in fear. They live in a world where it's normal to watch people get mugged, or beaten up, or even worse... shot. It just makes me really sad for those people. 

I know I sound crazy. I get my stuff taken and I'm sad for others. DONT GET ME WRONG it was scary and I most defiantly cried and freaked out. But, I'm just thinking about how lucky I am to live in a safe neighborhood, a safe country. Even our laws, as much as people complain about them, are better than here. The police were almost no help and I can see why no one reports crimes here. What's the point of reporting if no one does anything. 

WELL DONT WORRY, WE REPORTED. 
We are determined to put this to an end.  Apparently the same group of guys does that often to people. We want those guys caught. They shouldn't be able to just do that to people whenever they want to because they know everyone is afraid of them. 

If it happens often, why are they not in jail? Same question we have been asking ourselves ALL DAY. 
Again, I am not in Kansas anymore. This is not American protocol. This is Colombia. 



I hope I do not upset anyone too much. I hope no one is too afraid for me after this or thinks my life is in danger.
 If i felt unsafe, I would leave. 
But, like my fantastic mother told me tonight, "Do not let those horrible men let you down and stop you from doing what you went there to do!" 


EXACTLY. I am here to help the children of Bogota! I will go to the orphanage tomorrow, I will help them learn English and try to make an impact.


See, safe. 


ADIOS AMIGOS! 


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you lost your germ x! I am glad you are safe and trust your gut. If you feel safe enjoy the rest of your time there and remember to be very aware of your surroundings just like when you are here. There are mean people everywhere. I am really glad you gave up your stuff because you are way more important than a debit card. Also I am so glad I was reading these out of order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have an extra germ x at the apartment! woot! :)

    ReplyDelete