Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teaching in Bogota


Social worker on hold for 2 days...time to be a teacher!


Hogar (orphanage) 
On Wednesday August 22nd, I went with 6 other volunteers to the orphanage to start teaching the little ninos English! 

One of the volunteers had already started teaching them the day before and it was neat to see the progress she had already made. We started off by them telling us "hello, my name is _____" and then they had to ask us our names. (all in English of course)

I love these kids!
The ones getting adopted (that we worked with) are: 
Girl - age 11 (going to New York)
Boy - age 11 (going to Texas)
Boy - age 12 (going to Texas)
Boy - age 4 (not sure where he is going)

I looooooove that older kids are getting adopted! You always hear about the little ones getting adopted because they are so cute and small. The older kids are amazing, just as cute, and need just as much love! I think I need to bring one home :) 

Here is a game we played with the kids to help them learn the parts of the face. Each sticky note had a word on it, "nose", "ear", "eye", etc.... the kids took turns putting the sticky notes on Lupe's face :) 

They did a great job, they loved it, and we all had a good laugh. 

 The four year old boy was a little bit shy, so the Russian sisters took him aside and helped him with his colors and counting. I think he loved the extra attention :) 

I cannot express how much I love this orphanage! Being here with these kids makes me think about my future as a social worker. Working in an orphanage in Texas is not something I would pass up! 

That night: 
The hallway at the volunteer apartment is full of the hand prints of past volunteers. 
It is really neat to see how many people have been here and where they came from! I saw 2 from Texas! woot woot!
Since my Russian friends are only here for a week, I decided to put my hand print up when they did. We are taxi buddies, so I couldn't let anyone else get my spot! :) 

My first friends left on Wednesday night. I am so happy I met them, we had great times together!
A lot of people are leaving this week and I believe we get 5 new people next week! I have to say, one of my favorite parts of this trip has been meeting the other volunteers! We are all so different, from different countries and cultures, but we all get along and have at least one thing in common...wanting to help others :) 

Thursday August 23rd 
School in Soacha


Today I helped out at a school in Soacha. One of the volunteers who normally teaches was sick, so 3 other volunteers and I took her classroom! We taught first grade and then fourth grade. 
First grade was adorable! They learned how to say different kinds of fruits in english. 
There were two little boys in the front of the class that I became friends with. I'm pretty sure they were the "bad kids" of the class, and might have had ADHD, but I loved them. (you know me, always wanting to help the little troubled kids)
It was fun working one on one (well, i guess 2 on 1) with them. One of the little boys answered "PINEAPPLE" to everything I asked him.
erika: "fresa en ingles?"
little boy: "PINEAPPLE!"

erika: "rojo en ingles?"
little boy: "PINEAPPLE!"

Haha, he was so great! He finally came around and learned other words. 

Here is my little 1st grade fan club. The boys all gathered around and I taught them how to say their manners en ingles :) See, children all over the world need to be taught manners. 

Next was fourth grade. We worked on helping them tell time in english. They were much different from the first graders. They caught on a lot faster and could pay attention much longer! It was really amazing how much english they knew. These children will have many more opportunities after knowing a second language. Makes me wish I was a better Mexican and could actually speak espanol :) 

The first part of the day was really great! I enjoyed being in the classrooms and catching the similarities and differences from what I am used to seeing. 
The second part of the day was VERY DIFFICULT!

After school is over, at 1:00 the after school program starts. These kids get 2 extra hours to practice their english. It is hard because 
#1 there are A LOT of kids
#2 I do not speak enough Spanish to translate all the words to English
#3  Us being there is like having a substitute in class. Kids minds = woo hoo free time!

Lupe and I were put in a classroom full of about 10 kids. We played a couple of games and made the two hours go by pretty fast. By the end of the day I defiantly had a headache and wanted to hug every teacher I ever had. 
BUT, being there did make me realize that I need to start my Spanish classes as soon as I get my new debit card! 

I enjoyed volunteering at the school but I think my favorite place is still the orphanage. I can't describe it... i just feel a happy connection there. It's a great feeling of warmth and love every time i go there!

BTW, all of these pictures were taken by a fellow volunteer.He has been so great in letting me steal photos since i have been unable to take any of my own. Maybe one day I'll be brave and use the camera on the phone...but maybe not since it is my sisters and I told her that I would treat it better than a baby! haha!

Ok, that's all for now!!!

ADIOS AMIGOS! 



1 comment:

  1. I could not be more proud of you! The experiences you are having will only enrich you in the future. I have to imagine that orphanages are in need of caring nurturing people like you! Have fun meeting the new volunteers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete