Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bye Bye USA

Let's start with the plane ride to Bogota! 

WHO GOT FIRST CLASS??? This girl!
So great.
The seats were bigger, softer, and I did NOT have to sit in the middle of two people!

I was served warm nuts, orange juice, and a hot towel. Of course I took all of those things because I had a hard day!

Dinner was next: A large salad, bread, and lasagna. Dessert came next, I should have said no... BUT it was chocolate ice cream with walnuts! Can't pass that up. 

spoiler alter: 
I finished  MOCKING JAY!! so great. so great! I CANT BELIEVE people don't like the third book. So much drama and action. LOVED IT! plus, i was always rooting for Peeta, so the ending made me sooo happy :D

OK BACK TO MY FLIGHT: 
This is the good stuff

So the plane is about to land and I have this sudden panic. These thoughts run through my mind:

#1: WHAT AM I DOING
#2: TWO MONTHS, WHAT WAS I THINKING
#3: I DON'T KNOW THE LANGUAGE
#4: IM GOING TO DIE
#5: MOM

As soon as the plane lands, I am that annoying person that turns their phone on RIGHT AWAY!
My.Phone.Does.Not.Work!
No bueno.

So now, i cant call my mom to tell her im not being kidnapped.
I can't call the volunteer program if I do not see them at the airport.

Pretty sure I couldn't breath. Wanted to cry..BUT I DID NOT!

Got off the plane, went through customs, got my bags, and went outside the airport.
There is a fence outside the airport with about 100 Colombians yelling at you, "taxi taxi" "hotel hotel" "taxi"

IT'S SO SCARY. 
I quickly found the lady that had a sign "IVHQ" and my name under it :) SO GREAT.

She was picking up two other girls. This made me feel better because if this whole thing is a scam then at least i can try to outrun someone :)

We arrived at our volunteer apartment at about 10:30. Its nice. Here are a few pictures of my room. (later ill be creepy and get pics of the whole apartment and the other volunteers)

Apartment :)


My bed! NO SAFETY BARS. If i roll over...SPLAT!













The Room: 
Two bunk beds and one big window. They keep it cracked because we don't have heating or air conditioning. Plus who needs air conditioning when its 57 degrees outside :)







House Rules:
The house is interesting, there are a lot of rules.
At dinner you can only speak Spanish... sooo needless to say I didn't contribute to the conversation.

The meals are good but interesting. Not like TEXAS food that's for sure! I LOVE THE JUICES!!

So far i have had:
Breakfast: Eggs, thick tortilla thing, and hot chocolate. best hot chocolate ever, not like the packet kind that you pour into a cup and put in in the microwave. 
Lunch: Shredded chicken, tortillas, and bean soup. With YUMMY YUMMY juice.
Dinner: Chicken, Rice, Potatoes, and some yellow squishy thing that tasted like a potato. PLUS yummy yummy juice.

They love to conserve water, light, and electricity. Which is not a bad thing. Lights are always off during the day because the apartment windows give enough light. Water is very limited. Its a good way to save the planet.

Tomorrow ill post about my first day of volunteering. It was happy, kinda sad, and a great experience.
I'll also take A LOT of pictures tomorrow so everyone can see the streets of bogota! :)

ADIOS AMIGOS!





3 comments:

  1. Nice apartment. your bed is a safety hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 57! I'm jealous, it was 100 in Texas today. I bet is you say you have vertigo you can get a bottom bunk. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psstt.. Mockingjay was my favorite of the three :)

    ReplyDelete