Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Blind children, orphanage, homeless, and pizza!

First of all, 

I apologize for my absence, I have not written as much as I should be writing.
I wish I could say, "Iv'e been so busy saving the world and picking up trash that my hands are too tired to type about my amazing day!" Instead, this is my reason.... television shows.

SORRY.

For those who know me, I am a TV addict. BAM, first step is admitting and I think I just did that. 
Leaving my television behind was like leaving a small child behind. I take great care of my TV, she never feels abandoned or abused. So this has been a very hard trip, for the both of us.

But, a week ago, I did come across this amazing website that gives me access to any television show my little heart desires. So, needles to say, when I am not saving the world.... I am watching TV on Larry the laptop.

So the point of my TV rant: this blog will be long and I am sorry to have fallen behind. I would like to say it will not happen again, but that's like saying I'll never eat pizza again.

Blind Children 
Last Tuesday, September 4th, a fellow volunteer and I went to a school for blind children. This was a beautiful experience. We were with the teacher, another volunteer/ co-leader of the house, and we followed her to two classrooms.

The first group of kids were amazing; they were around 10-12 years old and all had personalities that some people only dream of having. Each child got a chance to ask us questions about ourselves, it was a good way for them to practice their English. Then, we were able to turn the tables and ask them questions.
Throughout the Barbra Walters interview somehow the topic of music came up and OH MAN, did that start a fiesta! They sang for us, harmonized, and even threw out some beats using their desks. You can tell that music is truly a passion in their life and I loved that they shared it with us.

The second group of kids were a little younger and so the "interview game" did not last as long. But, they did end up playing a board game and that caught their attention for a while.

I really enjoyed being at this school. I can see how, at times, it could be challenging and different, but I can also understand how rewarding it is.



HOGAR (orphanage aka my favorite place to be)





Lupe, Carlene, and I have been super busy at Hogar these past couple of weeks. Helping at the bakery, painting, teaching, and hanging out with the kids!













The kids have been doing such a great job at the tutoring classes we have for them!

Carlene (volunteer from Australia) is a teacher back and home, so her teaching skills have really come in handy! She does a great job at coming up with activities for the kids and making learning fun.

It really is amazing to see the kids improve and learn something new everyday.
They are on their way to a new country, a new family, new culture... it is going to be a complete shock for them. These kids have a lot going on and yet they still work hard everyday to learn English. I really admire them!

Our big project! 
This shed will hold all the children's outside equipment. As you can see, it is not so great looking at the moment. So, Lupe and I have rolled up our sleeves and decided to make it something really special for the kids! Our first task, getting rid of the brown and making it stand out. 


We started painting the shed and after about 20 minutes of painting the kids came outside to play. As soon as they saw paint...well, there was no stopping them! They really wanted to help, even if that meant getting paint in there hair, on their clothes, and I'm sure in their eyes,mouth,and nose. 

Don't be too serious

The best part of Hogar is hanging out with the kids. When we are not teaching, we spend a good amount of time playing games with the kids, eating lunch, helping in the bakery, or just playing outside. 







These kids are adorable, so of course if they want to put glittery, gooey, stars on our face... we let them. You want my chips? OK.  You want my water? OK. You want to chase me and then jump on my back? OK. 














Some of our favorite memories have been in the bakery. For obvious reasons: it's delicious. 
But, also because it's something different for us to do. We get to help cook, bake, and we also wash dishes. The baker has a cooking class every day at 3:30 for the kids. Were invited to help her out on Monday (September 10th) and of course we said YES! 

















Homeless project

Tuesday = Erika get over her fear of scary neighborhood day. 
That's right, I went back to the scene of the crime. OK that's a bit dramatic. Basically, the neighborhood where I got my stuff taken, is the neighborhood that 2 projects are in. This time: 
- I know not to take a back pack
- keep my money in my bra
- look a bit dirty
- keep my American mouth quiet
- head down
- go save the world

Me and two other volunteers (both guys, that's right.. this time i took bodyguards) took a taxi straight to the front door of the "soup kitchen." When we arrived, we were welcomed by the nicest people I have met so far! 
We did a quick introduction and then got straight to work! The food is already being cooked when we get there, so our job is to prepare for the next day. Lots of cutting and peeling. Now, back at home I consider myself a pretty good peeler. I can peel potatoes like no ones business. But when you hand me a dull knife and put 50+ potatoes in front of me.... i die a little inside. 
Don't worry, I got it done! The time went by really fast and before I knew it, people started coming in to eat their lunch. 

The people that come into this soup kitchen are homeless, and the majority of them are drug users. There are young people, older people, men and women. It's a very wide range. To be honest, I was in a bit of shock when the first round of people came through. 
I have seen poor, I know what poverty is. But, I don't think I was expecting to see so many people that truly needed a free meal. 
After my shocked face went away, I was able to open up a little and talk to some of the people that came in. We are not allowed to pass out the plates of food, but we can hold the trays of food for the man that does the passing. We also help gather the empty plates and get ready for the second round of people. 


This was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed this project more than I expected and I am excited to go back! The neighborhood is not the best, and I defiantly have to be more careful than I have ever been...but I truly enjoy being there. This placement is instant gratification. We cut the food, it gets cooked, we pass out the food, and feed people who have not had a meal in 24 hours. Sure, their lifestyle may not be ideal but that doesn't mean they do not deserve food. Who knows why they live the way they do. Maybe it's the only life they know and don't know how to get out of it. I wish there was more ways to help the people of this neighborhood, but a hot meal will have to work for now :) 

One Friend is back

Too much fun with Alyssa on a stick? YES. Lupe had the great idea to bring Alyssa with us to American Monday. She laughed, she cried, she was happy, and she loved the pizza. So glad to have my little friend on a stick back in my life. I missed her. 







Great Week (well, weeks) 
Yet again, another great week in Bogota! Only about 3 1/2 weeks left, I cannot believe how fast the time has gone. I will spend most of my time at the orphanage but I will also take a day or two out of my week to help at the soup kitchen. This weekend I decided to be adventurous again and go help build houses. I'm sure my blog this weekend will be fantastic. Erika... with a hammer. hahaha! so great. 


ADIOS AMIGOS!


1 comment: