Sunday, September 2, 2012

Museums and Cotton Candy!

MUSEUM DAY

September already!?!

I cannot believe it is September! Time is really flying by.
Yesterday in the volunteer house, I experienced my first round of "newbies." 4 new people in the apartment and that means,  I AM NO LONGER A NEW PERSON. 
It really is a great feeling to actually know what you are doing (or pretend that you do)


Now I feel like a real Colombian. Ok, that's taking it a bit far, but I do feel more comfortable here.

Saturday I was as lazy as anyone could ever be.
I literally stayed in my sweat pants until 4:00. Ate popcorn for lunch and caught up on my television shows. BEST.DAY.EVER.

That night, me and 2 other volunteers decided that we needed a pasta night! We cooked some spaghetti and I made meatballs. Now, I didn't have all the ingredients that I would normally have at home but they came out pretty darn good! Go Erika.

Sunday I decided it was time to stop being a bum!
A group of us went to the Gold Museum because it's free on Sundays... who doesn't like a free activity!


The museum turned out to be pretty neat. Lots of gold shiny objects, history, and culture. Between all the emeralds and gold, I can see why so many people love Bogota :) 


After the Gold museum, we went back to the Plaza because the newbies wanted to check it out. Even though I had already seen it, the experience was very different on a Sunday.  A lot of vendors, people, and food! Not as many pigeons this time, so there was no "round 2 of giving Erika a mild heart attack"






So many issues in Texas and in Bogota :) 
I like these pictures, it shows that I am still being Erika. It's been 3 weeks, I think it's time to let these volunteers know that I'm a little cray cray.

After eating pure sugar and my mini photo shoot, it was time to see another museum.

 Botero Museum 

- Fernando Botero is a famous figurative artist.

Mona Lisa
                                                                                   Nakey lady

Ew... bananas. 

This was my favorite painting, it made me giggle. I want to go home, get some paint, and make one for myself !

Today was a great day in Bogota!


Being away from home is hard at times, but having great volunteers around me has made my experience much easier!

We are all stuck in this apartment together, volunteering everyday together, eating meals together, washing dishes together, and actually having conversations at night because we have no television to watch.
In college, I was never the person that got involved in too much. I didn’t join a sorority or attend football games. I only got involved once I entered the social work program because it ended up being more like a family.
That’s how this experience feels.

Some people are only here for a week, others for 8 months, but we all pull together and make everyone feel like they are entering a home. No one gets left out or pushed to the side.
It doesn’t take long and you can start to really be yourself, make fun of each other, and tell your roommate that you have to fart.
It’s a pretty great volunteer family J




ADIOS AMIGOS



No comments:

Post a Comment