Sunday, September 23, 2012

Good people.

Only 2 weeks left here in Bogota! 

The time has gone by too fast and I am not sure if I have done enough. 
This country has defiantly tested me! I have been through more than I expected, had moments of weakness, and moments of strength that I didn't see coming. 

Not gonna lie, I am running low on blog material. 
I have found myself in a weekly routine and I like it. Orphanage 3 days a week, feeding the homeless 2 days a week. 

Everything is going great! We are almost done painting the shed at the orphanage and I will have pictures up the day it is complete! The kids are still amazing and working hard. 


The homeless project is slowly becoming my favorite place to be. It's nice helping prepare so much food and know that I am helping feed 100+ people. Every time I volunteer at the homeless project it is a different experience. Sometimes it is calm and everything works out perfectly. Sometimes a fight might break out, or someone might bring a weapon. Twice we have run out of food and had to turn people down. 

I think the homeless project also does a good job at testing my values and beliefs. 
- I like to think that all people are good even if they make bad decisions. 
- I think that everyone deserves a chance
- I think that everyone is capable of doing something great

At this project, sometimes I re-think my beliefs about the human kind. 
Some people can be very sneaky, ungrateful, and angry. We serve free  food, and yet some people still criticize. It does upset me sometimes because I don't understand how people can complain about getting a free meal. I don't understand how someone could lie to my face to get more food, or just an extra cup of juice. 
But then I think, I have never been truly hungry... never had to sit outside for 2-3 hours in a line waiting for my only meal of the day. So who am I to judge why they are telling lies. 

Just when I start to think that not all people are good, and some might just be stuck in a world of hate forever, someone shakes my hand and tells me what a beautiful job we are doing. I had one lady hug me, almost in tears, because she had finally eaten after 3 days. 

It really is a roller coaster of emotions. 

But, for every person who criticizes what we do, there are about 5 people who thank us. 
Even just one person thanking me for volunteering makes my entire day complete :) 

I'm excited for my next two weeks! Can't wait to see what else I can do with the little time I have left. 

Adios for now amigos!!!



1 comment: